Tuesday, July 28, 2009

the unraveling, the chaos, the regrowth

The title for this triptych did not come to me until my eldest daughter, Noe, said that the paintings look like balls of yarn unraveling. What a wonderful metaphor for life, I thought. Each of my paintings, I realize, is like a page out of my personal journal. This triptych tells of how my life began as simple and straightforward as little balls of color-coded yarn. The different colors symbolize the different facets that make a whole being. When those facets develop, there is an unraveling that takes place and the multiple parts of the psyche somehow intertwine as we try to make sense of who we are as an individual. There will be a point where those facets get tangled with each other and many times we need to untangle and even cut ourselves loose from the restrictive binds of wrong turns and knots that have been haphazardly tied. Eventually, we break free of those binds and knots and learn to smooth out the fibers of our being. We more consciously regroup our different colors at this time and live with a renewed sense of self.
Sometimes we go back to the unraveling. It becomes necessary when we hit an impasse and the process begins again.

No comments: